View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
KevinH1990

Things definitely do go wrong with Boxsters and some things go very wrong - just read the tales of woe from folks who have to replace their engines. So, I'm sure Consumer Reports has it right when they say that some model years of the Boxster are worse than average in reliability.

The Boxster is the first car I bought that Consumer Reports didn't rank as "much better than average" in reliability. (Although for some reason they did rank the 2000 Boxster as "better than average" - probably a statistical anomaly. They didn't have data on the 2000 in the current auto issue, so I can't say how they have held up in their seventh year of life. )

Although my 1996 Infiniti G20 and my Miatas have been fun to drive and very reliable, most of my other highly reliable cars have been a little dull. None of my other cars come close when you compare them to a Boxster for overall enjoyment.

So, don't buy a Boxster if you can't afford a few repairs or don't want to buy an extended warranty. But if you have a few resources in reserve, the Boxster is not a bad bet.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote