View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #12
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
I just changed the plugs in my 2001 for the first time (57,000 miles), all it took was a 1/4 turn with the socket, then they screwed right out with just my fingers twisting the extension. BTW they were BERU plugs. They appeared to have some type of anti seize paste on them. I am the original owner so I know they have not been touched since the car left Finland.

I also replaced the drive belt for the first time, it was in very good visual shape with few signs of wear other than the color had faded to a gray. I put it in the pouch of the spare tire for use as an emergency spare.
Hi,

That's why I wouldn't go 60k mi. on my plugs. If they turned that easy for you, they certainly couldn't have been sealing all that well. Interesting about the Anti-sieze - Porsche does not recommend it and if you use a 2 yr. change interval, you won't need it. Plugs are about the easiest and cheapest maintenance you can do on a Boxster, even cheaper than the Cabin Filter in some instances. It's silly not to change them semi-regularly, if nothing else than to inspect the Spark Plug Tube 'O' rings.

I say interesting because my Car had the original plugs (Beru), Uusikaupunki built, changed at 20k mi. for the 1st time, untouched since assembly - No Anti-sieze. And, they were properly torqued as well.

So far as the Polyrib Belt, visual inspection means nothing as the belt relies on internal cording for strength and integrity. A belt which looked new could actually be ready to go at the next revolution if the cording was damaged. Still, I'd also keep it as an emergency spare, but in the Trunk where I could use it if mine broke on the road. It will degrade further being stored, so only plan on short use if you ever use it...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote