View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
FrayAdjacent

Top acting funny, what to check?

Here's what happened:

Today when leaving a parts store, I decided to drop the top, since it was shaping up to be an OK day. I lowered the top about 1/3 of the way, and did the chop...

and then...

... the top wouldn't move. I made sure the parking brake was set, and the idiot light was ON. Check. Try the top switch both ways... no movement, no noises!

I shut off the engine, removed the key, then started up again, and the top went down.

Drove over to my parent's house, since I needed to borrow the garage for something. Went to put the top up, and it would not respond to the switch! Checked the parking brake was set, and the light was on. Shut off the engine, removed the key, then tried again, and nothing.

I checked the fuse panel, and the fuse for the top control was fine. Reseated it. Then I decided to try resetting it by disconnecting the battery.

After I reconnected the battery, the top came up just like it should!

I then did my things that I needed to do in the garage, and got ready to leave, so I started the engine, and lowered the top. It worked normally. Then I put it up, again normal behavior. Latched it shut, then I opened it, pausing for the 'chop', and it went down normally.

When I got home, it closed about halfway and stopped. Then stuttered a bit when I released the switch and tried it again. I tried putting it down, and it did go all the way back down. Then tried raising it, and it came all the way up like normal.

There were no weird sounds, or pops or anything breaking. It's just acting wierd. Every time, the parking brake was SET, and the light was ON.

(Related, maybe: A few weeks ago, I pulled into a parking lot to drop the top, stopped, lifted the parking brake... but no light! I set and released the brake a few times, and it finally started working, and then the top would respond)

Any suggestions on what I should check? Think it might be an intermittant p-brake switch?

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote