Thread: New 2003 Owner
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
pbanders

The '03 Boxster is no match for my '98 M3 in raw acceleration, mostly due to the M3's torquey motor and short gearing, and partly due to my Boxster's Tip. Top speed goes to the Boxster, the M3's limited to 137 mph and is more of a brick in the wind. The M3's motor and stock exhaust sound great, the Boxster's sound is underwhelming until 4K+ rpm. Both cars are remarkably smooth, due to their ideal engine configurations (inline 6 and flat 6's have no 1st and 2nd moment), I think the Boxster is a bit smoother.

While the M3 sticks fairly well (and I have very nice Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's on it), it's no comparison to my Boxster (shod with cheap Nexen N3000's). Handling of the Boxster is on par with my 914 or better, without the harshness. While the M3 is touted as having awesome steering, as good as it is, I think the Boxster's better, truly point-and-shoot. The Boxster's steering could be a bit quicker, IMO.

I've had my M3 since new in '98, my wife drives it, but it's just a car to her. The Boxster is different, it's the first car I've owned that she's actually interested in. I agree, it's an extremely fun car to drive. I'm sure an S of my year or newer would be really awesome.
pbanders is offline   Reply With Quote