View Single Post
Old 09-08-2004, 06:24 PM   #20
bamaboxster

Send a message via AIM to bamaboxster
3 months later and I posting another reply....

I have had some really exciting seat time in my new 04 Boxster. I have finally accepted the fact that some mid engine cars have a certain stigma attached to them. Some have had less than stellar service histories, others were mis-understood.

I owned a 1984 Fiero SE (2m4) which I bought in California in 1989 with 30K on it and a new engine installed by GM.

I drove that car 265 THOUSAND miles getting 42 MPG and no major problems. ( I had one of the good ones).

Anyway, at that time that car was so much fun to drive, practical, smooth riding, decent power and excellent handling. It too had a trunk in the front and rear. Although quite heavy for a sports car, I was able to spank quite a few cars with it at that time. I could out handle the 6 cylinder GT due to the weight difference, then be dusted in the straights like the Boxster vs 996. 1989 Pontiac made 30 turbo charged 3.3L V6 Fieros and scrapped production because it roasted the Corvette of the time for $15,000 less. Late 88 GTs had their own suspension (not the off the shelf Citation stuff) and is one of the most desired Fieros on the planet. The last 6 months of production were the best ones.

This car was also slammed by people whom have never taken the time to drive one and realize for $15-18k new it was a lot of bang for the buck.

The Fiero was meant to be a high MPG 2 seater commuter car, thats it. The public perception of this car made it evolve into a pseudo sports car. Unfortunately, the plug was pulled when it finally became a somewhat serious sportscar in early 1989.

I have owned 914s, 916s( CORRECTION: 914/6, there were only 11 916s made, 1 shipped to the US), 911s, Beetles, Austin Healy, Triumphs, Jags and other wierd stuff. Each of the models had their odd balls along their evolution.

Sometimes these little ricers piss and moan about other cars like the Boxster, because they are intimidated and don't understand the level of technology designed into the Boxster.

I dare to say most of them could not use a meter to diagonose anything electrical on a car, understand how a data bus works in most German cars, properly use a torque wrench, read a micrometer, vernier caliper, measure a cylinder bore for taper, let alone have a concept of how a manual transmission works or understand how a planetary gearset works and so on.

I never understood the argument of taking an economy car, spending thousands of dollars for modest gains in HP and handling, wheras the Porsche is a true sports car from the beginning. An economy car will always be an economy car.

To have all of this performance in the Boxster and its an all season convertible with a serious insulated top and a glass rear window, leather interior, vastly improved interior quality in 03 and 04, reasonable maintenance cost per mile, 32MPG behaving on the highway, as much trunk space as my G35 Sedan, and reasonable insurance for 42K-58K is a lot of bang for the buck.

Its a lot less than you garden variety Tahoe or monster SUV and some well performing luxury sedans.

The Boxster is easily identifiable as a Porsche, carries the Porsche image and reputation as a true sports car.

Sure, I would love a 996 or 997 (and I will someday), but I can afford to have much more fun with the Boxster without wiping out the bank account.

Dave
bamaboxster

Last edited by bamaboxster; 09-14-2004 at 04:06 PM.
bamaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote