View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #11
MNBoxster

Hi,

The whole topic of Global Warming is a very emotional and devisive one. Each side has an ample arsenal of reports and emminent scientists to support or bolster their view.

One argument which cannot be in dispute is the addition of free Carbon to the environment. Gasoline is made up principally of Hydrogen and Carbon. Carbon comprises 80% of this compound. A gallon of Gasoline weighs approx. 6.25 lbs. (@STP). This means that for each gallon of Gasoline you combust in your car, you are releasing 5 lbs. of Carbon (80% of 6.25lbs. = 5lbs.) into the atmosphere as free Carbon - Carbon which had heretofore been locked up in Petroleum.

It denies Logic to simply think that the release of this much Carbon (considering the Global use of Gasoline) into the atmosphere does not have some effect.

What effect? I cannot say, but here is where the whole Global Warming argument breaksdown from one of Science to one of Belief.

If one believes there is Global Warming, they offer all corroborating Scientific data as proof.

If one believes the opposite, they, in turn, offer their corroborating Scientific data as proof of their position.

But, in practice, if the World adopts conservation through better engineering for increased Range, and there turns out not to be a Global Warming crisis, what is harmed? In fact, profits would largely increase throughout Industry and/or costs lowered.

Costs tend to level out with increased costs in one area being offset by savings in others such as lowered Healthcare costs, lower Work Absence, and the like, so these arguments are largely moot or at least cancel each other out.

But, if the World simply ignores the issue and it turns out that there is indeed Global Warming, tremendous, and possibly irreversible, harm may be done. Not to us necessarily, but to future generations. What responsibility do we have to future generations? I'm not sure I can say.

So, it would seem to me that Prudence should rule the day and some measures in increased efficiency and possible alternatives be explored...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote