View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
MNBoxster

Hi,

While I do think it looks better (Porsche should have given us these gauges to begin with), I wonder of it's such a good thing. On a Street Car, there's virtually no need to know the absolute value of the Oil Pressure or Voltage, the Warning Lights provide adequate monitoring of those functions.

As a pure aesthetic, I think it will strike some people as a 911 wannabe, and could actually hurt the resale value of the car. A prospective Buyer might not like the non-oem gauges, certainly some at least will want the car as-built.

Some may appreciate it, but you've reduced the size of your potential market. Also, the swap may present a 'Trust' issue to a prospective buyer that the car's mileage might not be actual or even that some potential electrical problems might result down the line. Again, some may be unbothered, maybe even see it as a premium, but it's just as likely that you'll shrink the available Buyers Pool, take longer to sell it and/or hurt the final selling price.

I've bought and sold many, many, cars in my life and the heavily modded ones are always more difficult to sell without lengthy explanations. So far as buying, I personally shy away from mods done by someone else as they are virtually unknowns to me. And, I think sellers want to recover some of the cost (if not all of it) in the selling price (when in all actuality you should expect to recover only 10% of the cost).

If you're planning on keeping the car forever, these things are non-issues, but if not, you should at least give them some consideration before deciding on the swap. As always, just my humble $0.02...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote