View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 04:30 AM   #26
jwilson95

All-

My Loctite rep. basically contradicted himself. I guess they want to sell product to those willing to use it. They have a product specifically for spark plugs, but then they have a I guess it is personal opinion/choice:

Model # : LOC37617
Item Id: 372112
Loctite 20 Gm Silver Anti-Seize Stick: Loctite Silver Anti-Seize Stick is a heavy-duty, temperature-resistant, petroleum-based lubricant compound fortified with graphite and metallic flake. Will not evaporate or harden in extreme cold or heat. Use during assembly to prevent seizing, galling and corrosion. For use in assemblies up to 1600 F (871 C). Test to Mil-PRF-907E. Suggested Applications: For easy removal of spark plugs, cylinder head and exhaust head bolts.

There is a second school of thought on using anti-seize on spark plugs; the AC/Delco spark plug installation procedure page says not to do it:
Do not use any type of anti-seize compound on spark plug threads. Doing this will decrease the amount of friction between the threads. The result of the lowered friction is that when the spark plug is torqued to the proper specification, the spark plug is turned too far into the cylinder head. This increases the likelihood of pulling or stripping the threads in the cylinder head. Over-tightening of a spark plug can cause stretching of the spark plug shell and could allow blowby to pass through the gasket seal between the shell and insulator. Over-tightening also results in extremely difficult removal.

He did say that if you use it, use it very carefully because a little goes a very long way and will get down in the chamber if it is excessive.

Let the battle rage on!

Jeff
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote