Thread: Car wash?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #13
Perfectlap

the soap that is used to wash the paint is not recomended to wash the soft top. Soap detergent actually attracts dust, and dust is the big culprit. It breaks down the threading and with the stretching and pulling over the bows it leads to tears and wear marks. You want to keep the canvas as dust free as possible year round. A bi-weekly rinsing with a strong stream of water is great.

Also, high volume car washes don't really make a practice of changing/cleaning their equipment/towels/mitts often enough. I had a friend who ran a new dark blue car through an tunell car wash only a couple of times and I could alreay see visible swirling and micro marring. Believe it or not it was a BMW M5! It's shocking what people subject pricey car to.

Those automatic tracks are also a concern, I bent a pricey BBS wheel driving onto one of those things at a very slow speed. Sometimes if you hit something at the wrong angle with enough force its just enough to bend cast alloy.

Then you have the Milenium Falcon jet dryer which has too much suction for some cars. It actually tore the aging stiching around my old convertible's rear window.

Automatic car washes are just a bad scene....
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-05-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote