View Single Post
Old 03-01-2007, 08:04 AM   #8
bnorman

Buying a used top is the way to go. It seems that popular colors command higher prices (Artic Silver, Black). Painting will cost $400 to $600. Spring is probably a good time to buy.

I bought one on Ebay and it was damaged in shipping. Here are some points worth considering:
1. Insure the item.
2.. Get good pictures from the seller before it is shipped so you can documet the preshipped condition. Print and save the Ebay listing and pictures if you buy it there.
3 Carefully inspect the item when you pick it up. Note any damage on the freight bill when you sign it and report the claim to the freight company claims office asap.

I was able to get the freight company to pay for repairs and paint which cost almost $800. I found out that repairing aluminum is more expensive than normal sheet metal. I had to make sure I found a shop that was willing and capable of doing the work. I actuall came out ahead since I was going to have to paint the top anyway.

You will need to buy and install spin locks. You will find a number of threads on this subject here.
Congratulations on you purchase and good luck on the hardtop.
Cinnimon Brown Interior
[IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...terPix3001.jpgIMG]
bnorman is offline   Reply With Quote