View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 07:06 AM   #11
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
I don't know anything about painting but I am curious if what I was told a few years back is correct or not. I had a black Lincoln LS a few years back and I was considering having the entire front bumper repainted due to rock chips. When I took it into the body shop he said it was probably better if they simply did some touch up work versus repaint the entire bumper. His reasoning was that the paint from the factory is a much more durable paint than what he could put on.

Is there any truth to this? Why wouldn't a body shop be able to apply the same products as the factory?

Hi,

There is truth to it. EPA requiremants have made most manufacturers switch to electrostatic paints. Instead of applying liquid paint (with all it's nasty solvents, etc.) the paint now applied is more similar to powdercoat. The Paint particles acquire a positive charge (+) when the leave the spray gun, the Body is negatively charged (-). Since opposites do attract, the paint adheres to the body which is then liquified and cured in either an IR or UV oven. This why Orange Peel is so much more prevelant in new car finishes today than in the past.

A Body shop is neither required to have, nor can they afford to purchase, this technology, and so continue to use solvent based paints. Still, these should be more than fine in matching a factory paintjob if done carefully and correctly. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote