View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
I think the whole question is why doesnt paint stick to fiberglass. There have been some reasons given, but im not convinced with the gel coat or the lack of flexibility of the fiberglass. Why wouldnt putting extra primer on the fiberglass make it behave like urethane? I know a tiny rock isnt going to make urethane bend to absorb the blow, but it also doesnt take the paint off, My 8 year old bumper looked pretty darn great for original paint. (all orginal paint car btw, except the new bumper, diffusers, bumperettes, and soon to be side skirts, lol)
Hi,

I hear what you're saying, but more primer probably isn't going to do it. The thing is, you do not want a lot of primer underneath. This will tend to protect the Gel Coat much more than the top color coat.

Flexibility in the top color coat is the key, and that may be the issue - too hard a color coat. The new self-healing paints now offered (specifically by Nissan) are fairly soft and so can absorb the impact and flow to restore that paint which is pushed away by the impact. It may be worth exploring this possibility with a Paint Guy, I'm sure these paints are available aftermarket to support the Bodywork Repair Industry...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-21-2007 at 08:06 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote