View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonko The Sane
While I 100% agree with your assessment of the "fiberglass question," Jim, I must say that I believe that something had to have been done wrong in order for it to only last two days! Obviously we'd need to see pics before being able to effectivly diagnose it, but c'mon, the clearcoat should have taken the abuse from two days worth of driving..

My guess is that something wasn't applied right..... Although if the question was about 3 or 4 months after you put the glass on, I think Jim's response would be right on..

How about some pics?
Hi,

The point you make is well taken, but consider what kind of driving was done in just those two days. You could put tissue paper on the Bumper and in just two days in my neck of the woods, you would be hard pressed to damage it significantly in such little time.

For any material to have been exposed to so much chipping in only two days, the lister must have been doing donuts in a Gravel Pit, or tailgating a DOT Sanding truck.

The truth is, Fibreglass reproduction pieces are cheap, and they are cheap, cheaply made that is which is why they are so inexpensive to begin with. This is the only way they can compete in the marketplace with Urethane parts. Proving the addages that You get what you pay for and Cheap is rarely, if ever, cheap.

This will be a constant maintenance headache for the Lister, unless he swaps the fibreglass part for the more expensive (though maybe not so in the long run) Urethane one...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote