View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco
Hi, I stored my car for the winter and decided to clean the carpet on a grey weekend
so i removed the seats for a good vacuum job and out of curiosity i lifted the carpet and discovered the foam under the carpet was soaked with water.
After 2 days of detective work i discovered the water was coming in from a gap between the rocker panel and the inside floor panel. Now u guys are wondering how the water got there.
First let me say that my car has never been driven in the rain and the only water it knows of is from my hose. I discovered that water from the windshield flows down the side of the car panel where the door hinges are in the back of the black plastic vertical cover and makes its way to the inside of the rocker panel through
gaps that are at the bottom of the wheel housing where the rocker panel frame is welded to the vertical body panel.U must remove the plastic lining that is in the front wheel housing to see the gaps i'm talking about.
The fix is to clean out the dirt and seal the gaps with silicone at the bottom of the wheel housing and also inside the car where the floor panel meets the side rocker panel. Some places can't be reached with the silicone gun so i sprayed a thick coating of grease in those corners. The passenger side was dry so my guess is that the carbon canister thats there must deviate the flow of water and i also noticed a lot of dirt at the bottom of the housing that must be due to the fact that the plastic lining did not fit as tight as the drivers side and dirt sealed some of the gaps. I'm wondering if any of u guys ever came across such a problem if yes let me know if not i'd check it out just to be safe. Please don't respond with the condensation theory thats minor compared to the amount of water i found. Took 10 days for the 2 inch foam to dry.

Here you go Mac986
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote