View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
thenavarro

I can't get the drive belt right, help please

I have a base 2001 986. I lost a drive belt so I went to replace it tonight. Everything went well, but when I changed it and started it up, immediately the belt slipped to the outer edge of the power steering pump and the air conditioning, #4 and #5 in the pic. Upon closer examination, it appears that my #3 deflection roller 1 is not angled properly, IE, the belt doesn't go squarely on it, the belt rides out toward the front of the car and therefore when everything rotates, the belt slides off the deflection roller causing it to then slide off the power steering pump and then the air conditioner.

The deflection roller doesn't seem to be moveable forwards and backwards, except rotation, so I don't know how to adjust it. It really appears to me like it needs to move closer to the front of the car by a shim. Also, the belt appears to be tight so I think the tensioner is working and I had to use the 24 mm socket to move it, but I'm not sure how to check for sure.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would hate to have to pay a tow truck $150.00 to tow it it Dallas if someone has an easy fix. Does the bolt that holds the deflection roller ever bend down and cause it to get out of line, if so, do you buy a new bolt or a new roller??? How hard is that to install, can I install it using the same access I did to get to the belt, IE, only going through the front engine panel? What about the tensioner? What would you try next? I'm not very mechanical so I was proud just to get this far, but then it doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated. I"m about to go to my son's basketball practice so I'll be back in a couple of hours and will try to post pics of what I'm talking about. The picture I included is a stock photo that everything is functioning properly.

Nothing seems to be seized, everything spins, its just like its misaligned between 3, 4, and 5. Thanks,

Thanks,

Mike
thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote