View Single Post
Old 08-21-2004, 06:59 AM   #9
Ad Sach

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche986
the standard carrera beat the worlds fastest road bike, end of story,
On that day, under those conditions, with that driver, the C4 carrera beat the R1. It's NOT the end of the story because it was that day and those drivers.

Quote:
theres always someone like you...
The specs on the R1 - ?? so what... who the hell drives in a line all the time, i am sick of people like you always saying the same excuse about warm tyres and lines ...
Someone like me? Someone with a Boxster who would have loved to be in the mix and go head to head on the same course(even expecting to lose from a standing start)?

There are some subtleties to that lap in the video. Did you notice how the bike, apparently fearful of the C4 coming up too fast on it's tail in the twisties, departed from the line and gave the Carrera room to pass BEFORE HE WAS OVERTAKEN? In a RACE situation, a competitive driver will not yield until the overtaking driver has actually overtaken - as in placing the front of the vehicle alongside the other vehicle on the inside of the curve. Halfway alongside doesn't count when you are in direct competition with the overtaking car. Behind and overtaking fast certainly doesn't count. How much did that cost the bike - 1.5 seconds? You probably did notice since you are the one who mentioned the line.

Quote:
i will re-download the video and post the video today then you can download it and see for yourself
I saw what is probably the same video - I linked to it in my post.

It has been 20 years since I rode a bike and watched 2 wheel racing, and I drive a Porsche so there is nothing 'personal' to me which vehicle is faster. My only point is that it is somewhat silly to claim the 996 standard C4 can beat the worlds fastest road bike. The standard I use for 'can beat' is consistently and under a specific range of conditions.

For example, I believe a Carrera C4 can consistently beat my Boxster S from point A to point B in stoplight to stoplight city street racing or open freeway racing . Not being part of the fastest and most furious crowd, I really don't want to test this out. I also believe that on a basic mountain road, the Boxster S has a slight edge.

My personal experience has been on mountain roads behind a 996TT and in front of a C2, and at Lime Rock PARK and Phoenix International Raceway among a field of mixed Porsches. It seems like the Boxster S has the edge on the C2 under those conditions and dominates the older 911, 914, 94x in standard trim, while getting toasted by the 996TT on the track. I don't have experience beside the C4.

So would I say the Carrera C4 'can beat' the Boxster S? On the streets and freeways YES, on the twisties probably NO - but inconclusive.

Would I say the Carrera C4 'can beat' the Yamaha R1? On the streets and freeways NO, on the twisties MAYBE, - but inconclusive.

- - -

Take my statements personally, don't take them personally it is your choice. Reply or don't reply, I don't much care. I have stated my best case here, and if you choose to belive the C4 'can beat' the R1 that is your choice. IMHO the evidence, even from the video I linked, leans the other way.

Ad Sach
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote