View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 09:16 AM   #16
orange260z

[QUOTE=RandallNeighbour]IS350?

I never thought the IS should be in the Lexus lineup. It just feels like a very well appointed Toyota and doesn't have that special Lexus look and feel... and that cushy Lexus ride.

Of course, I own a LS400 and that probably has a lot to do with the opinion.

QUOTE]

As the owner of a 2001 IS300 (bright freakin' yellow) I share part of your opinion, but disagree with part.

Yes, I think that it is a bit of an oddball in the Lexus lineup in terms of it's sporty vs luxury focus, but about feeling like a Toyota? Sorry, gotta disagree there.

The IS300 (not sure about the new 250/350) is based on a modified GS platform, and it shows. It has a much more solid, tight feel than most other cars in its class, and much more so than any Toyota-branded car (including the ES/Camry). It is quite spartan in terms of luxury equipment, but despite having a firm suspension it soaks up bumps with a lot more sophistication than, let's say, a G35 or a loaded Maxima. The BMW 330 is its equal or better, but with a 33% higher price tag similarly equipped.

IMHO, Lexus service is also second to none, and that was a factor in my purchase decision.

BTW, I had a '96 LS400 for a short while before I bought the IS. Great car, incredible build quality, but at 30yrs old decided I wanted something more sporty...

cheers!!
2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7L Tiptronic - Lapis Blue Metallic (gone)
orange260z is offline   Reply With Quote