Thread: roll bars?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 05:55 AM   #4
limoncello

They can be considered a roll bar, in that they are structural material mounted to the frame. This differs from a style bar, Miata for example.

The true question is "Who's asking?"

Some tracks/events accept the Boxster, as is, for HPDE. Our local track is one example, I drove 4 DE's with no mods required, but these were not PCA events.

PCA and SCCA have emphasis on safety, and usually enforce the broomstick rule, that the top of your helmet must be 2" below the imaginary line from the top of the windshield frame to the top of the roll bar. I'm tall, so I flunked; couldn't drive with PCA.

The Brey Krause company makes a roll bar extension for the Boxster that PCA and SCCA accept for DE. It raises the height a couple of inches, still allows normal top operation, and is an easy bolt-on to install. Mine's for sale if you need one.

Finally, none of the above qualify as a roll bar in the racing definition, in that there is no lateral cross bracing and no rear bracing.

Check with the specific HPDE safety coordinator for the event you're interested in and go from there, no sense doing mods if they are not needed. Good luck and go for it, the Boxster is a blast to drive at the track!
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote