View Single Post
Old 08-13-2004, 09:56 AM   #12
Lux

There's really two truths to the Boxster. One is that it is a great car. Handling, styling, feel, speed (S model), etc. Which is exactly why I bought one.

The second truth is that it is underpowered (S is barely adequate). I visit a lot of other forums and *most* of the people have negative views on the Boxster. The line that comes up the most is the "Porsche with panties" comment. If you care to look, go to any site (BMW for example) and search under Boxster.

Granted none of them have ever driven the Boxster and the people that have will readily defend the Boxster. However, the only Porsche with credibility is the 911 in these forums.

Personally, I feel the Boxster does need more power before it will be held in high regards with "enthusiasts" of other makes. BMW's M roadster and coupe, Honda's S2K, BMW's M3, Chevy's Corvette, etc. have more "street cred". Funny thing is, the M roadster/coupe have a rear suspension from a previous-gen 318i, the M3 is a fat pig, and the S2K has an overstrung engine with no torque. The Corvette is good...but it too comes with a stereotype...that of a redneck/old man/guido car.

IMHO, the Boxster S should have been the base car. The S should have gotten the 996 motor. I'm very happy with my S but the realist in me says that it can use some more power. Yeah I could've bought a 911 for more power...but I didn't want a 911.

So the real question is:
Why doesn't the Boxster have more power? Please don't say a Porsche is more than about power. Or else...why would Porsche make a 400+hp SUV?

We know the reason why Porsche won't pump up the Boxster hp. But if Porsche thinks that I'm going to "upgrade" to a 911 for more power they are mistaken. I have no desire for a 911 and no desire for an engine hanging over the rear axle.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote