View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 08:14 AM   #11
Rail26

A little background on Snuffers

Dallas Restaurant Review:

Snuffers is a burger joint. Period. The menu is very short – one little page – hamburgers, cheeseburgers, bacon cheeseburgers, fries, several nachos, sides, and appetizers. Full bar. I remember when TGI Fridays and Chili's had brief, no-nonsense menus like that. And larger crowds, I might add. After 15 or 20 years, Snuffer's restaurant still has the crowds.
SETTING - Snuffers is in an old building on lower Greenville Avenue right next to the historic Granada Theatre. There are 2 or 3 dim, cozy rooms plus a very nice patio (photo above). The Dallas Morning News has published a couple stories about the Snuffer's ghost that has been known to spook the employees late at night, and even a few customers. Click here.

FOOD - Snuffer's awesome and well-seasoned Cheddar Fries are legendary. The hamburger is 1/2 pound, and if you order it Medium Rare and juicy, that's the way it comes (unlike wimpy chains who are so scared of being sued that they now cook every burger at least Medium for "health reasons"). The margaritas are good and also cheap ($2.95), but on the small side. Order two. Or get the somewhat larger and even better top-shelf version ($4.95). Snuffer's warns that they’re stronger, and they are. The soft drinks are served in glasses about a foot tall.

AMBIANCE - Burger hole-in-the-wall, but with a very casual restaurant look. Age and character. Younger crowd. There is now another Snuffer's on N.W. Hwy at Preston Rd. which tries to replicate the original. (Sorry, guys -- close, but no cigar.) Go to the one on Greenville Avenue.

Downside? - You can forget about eating light. We are talking about some serious burgers and fries. I don't even remember if they have a salad.

BOTTOM LINE - Burger heaven. With Cheddar Fries.

Yeah baby! Ghosts, Cheddar Fries and Medium Rare Meat...Woohoo!
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote