View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 07:59 AM   #10
racer_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
True, but then again.
Auto-X is no real racing, what danger for your head is there when you Auto-cross. The only time I ever needed a helmet was when I rode with a guy in a 996 who had a rool cage and I bumped my head (protected by a helmet) against the cage.

I went with a cheapo SNELL and DOT certified helmet from my local motor-bike store (about $120)

Depends, I've run "autocrosses" where I've reached nearly 80mph. Should one "F"up at 80 mph, it could lead to rolling the car. I think I would want a helmet for that.

Autocross, by definition of your INSURANCE company, is racing- It is a timed competitive event. Look at your policy.. Check your exclusions. So, unless you have "racing" insurance, you could be SOL, should you find your car wrapped around/over a curb or lightpost during an AX.

In the end, it comes down to "how much do you like your head"?

Consider that many folks who autocross also do Drivers Ed events or actual racing. So there is more than one venue for helmet use.

Also consider that a $300 Bell helmet, with appropriate SA and Snell ratings are good for a number of years (5-10), bringing the "annual" helmet cost down to $30-60/yr - about the cost of an event or two. Now it doesn't seem so bad
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote