View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kls
"I installed a pair and am happy with them; and the price is not bad at all."

Was the install easy? Also, I have the sliding door storage behind the seat, will in interfere with that? It looks like a pretty good setup.

Hi,

Install is pretty easy, I'd rate it a 2.5 on the difficulty scale (1 being the easiest and 10 being the most difficult). You need to have the hard storage box to do a proper install, though at least one installation I know of used the soft storage bag.

You will need a dremel tool/exacto knife and either some epoxy or a hot glue gun to remove the storage cubbyholes on the storage box and install the speaker grills. And, you need to remove some of the interior trim to route the wiring harness, again, not difficult. The OEM came with wonderful instructions and I suspect the PnP is the same. You'll also need a set of Radio Keys to remove the HU from the dash. The OEM came with them, I suspect the PnP does as well.

I didn't go with the PnP kit, I did OEM, but it's esentially the same as is the overall effect (a buddy did the PnP and we compared the two). Both good kits, I'd say go with the one which costs you less. Consider enclosing the Storage Box and adding some spun poly batting as this improves the sound and reduces/eliminates vibration issues. You can do this for maybe an extra $4 worth of Poly Batting and some thick mil vinyl. PM me if you want some pics of how I did it.

Don't expect Carnegie Hall, just a proper fill instead of the definite Front Staging present on the OEM stereo alone w/o the rear speaker pkg. Well worth it IMHO anyway. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote