View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 12:24 PM   #7
rdancd816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIFI
Thanks for all the help, I have read Randall's links and they are very informative.

How much are you talking to replace the convertible cables? Coolant tank? Ignition switch? Seat belt receptacles? I've seen the problem with the cables, but what was wrong with the coolant tank, ignition switch, and seat belts?

I do plan on getting a PPI, but I'm not convinced they know as much what to look for as some of you guys!

By the way, I really like your wheels Grizzly.
Chances are if the prior owner kept up with service bulletins the convertible top cables were upgraded. If not (mine were not) the price to replace can approach $2,000. My dealer advises me to "watch the top" closeley to avoid damage to the clamshell if the cables stretch. The ignition switch is a notorious problem with most Porsche's, not difficult to replace on your own and if your not a DIY type I spent about $400 to fix it. Coolant tanks on older 986's can crack and leak coolant. Mine's been OK but take a look under the rear carpet in the trunk of the car you evaluating to see if any coolant has pooled under there. Older Boxsters used tin connectors on the seatbelt receptacles and over time the contacts fail resulting in the "airbag" light illuminating. Mines been on for months. Dealership advised the airbags are functional but to get the light to permanently go off I need to replace the seatbelt receptacles with new ones with gold contacts -$750. I will live with the light for now! I would also advise you to look at the tires as to age. The tires on my car were original factory Michelins, they looked like new (only 9700 miles on them) but they were 9 years old! $1000 to replace. My car was PPI'd and I agree the value of it was suspect (missed the top cables). I have had a slight RMS/Oilpan leak in the past but it has stopped. My suspicion is that the car was not driven enough to keep the seals in condition. No drips for about 5 months now. All in all I would buy another '97 if the car was right. I have been very pleased with the car in all respects so far. You do need to be prepared to spend some $ on maintenance - after all it's 10 years old!! Good Luck!