Thread: Educate me
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
berj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcryan
I may in the near future be in the market for a boxster, likely 2003, or 04. I know porsches pretty well overall, but not a ton about boxsters. I would like a hardtop, and it must be manual, must. I have a few questions:

How are they in snow (i live in Rochester NY and it would be driven daily, with snows for the winter)

-How reliable are they, problem areas, things to look for

-Hows the MPG?

-What oil do you guys use?

-How much for a general service?

-and now for the kicker.... I have 30-33k to spend, should i go S or regular, what are the differences?

Also how do i make the forum read from the first post down to the last, its killing me that it doesnt.

Thanks guys
In order:

1) if you get winter tires they're *great* in snow. If you leave the summers on.. good luck. I live in Toronto *waves from across the lake* and have never felt even a little bit uncomfortable in the winter. I don't have a hard-top and haven't really missed it.

2) I can't really speak to this since I bought mine new (2005). So far it's been great. No problems. I know.. I know.. I've jinxed it now.

3) great on the highway in my 987. If I keep it around 115 (70mph) I can cruise along at around 30-32 mpg. My city mileage sucks.. something like 14mpg. I'm pretty sure I'm averaging around 23-25 mpg for my entire time with the car.

4) Mobil 1.. 0W40, I think.. though I'd have to look. The dealership does my oil changes for me.

5) again.. can't say. Never needed it. Service *is* expensive,though. My dealership charges $115CDN/hour. Oil change was just shy of $300.

6) others will answer this better than I.. but I'm thinking buy the best car you can afford. With a used car it's such a balancing act of mileage, year, service history, etc.

Good luck!
berj is offline   Reply With Quote