View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 09:04 PM   #14
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusivecar
Thanks for the info JackG and MNBoxster! The noise is still there but *very,very* hard to detect now...Many people have brought up the bad diodes diagnoses but since the noise is now gone should I still have the alternator tested? Maybe its on its way out.?.?. and needs replacement? Again...thanks to all....funny how Crutchfields' techs advised me to just deal with it...or return the unit.
Hi,

The noise is now undetectable, but the ear is a funny thing. I had a similar issue once, and each week, the sound which had initially been undetectable became more and more noticeable.

So far as the alternator, there are 3 pairs of phase (or output) diodes and 3 Field Diodes which convert the AC current produced to DC current which the car can use. They're actually pretty fragile. They usually fail individually, reducing the current output by ⅓ for each diode which has failed and also a potential cause of the noise you hear.

Most people don't even recognize a failing alternator until 2 diodes fail leaving insufficient current production to recharge the battery and run the accessories. So, aside from excess noise in the Sound System, you may have a failing Alternator which will reduce the life of your battery with time as well. So, there's a two-fold benefit to getting it checked out.

There are lots of local Auto Electrical Shops which will rebuild an alternator usually for under $100. They can often even add additional windings allowing the Alternator to produce more current than before as well ...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote