View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #7
kenkamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
^you want to strip off the protectant because those protectants are not brake-dust proof. Hot brake dust will melt right through those protectants easily and then adhere to the clear coat.
I have never experienced that problem, even with hot brake dust coming off from hard brake use. I don't see how using a cleaner more aggressive than soap and stripping off the protectant and leaving the finish bare is a better solution.

Quote:
You can't let ferrous particles linger over your clear coat and you certainly don't want to spread them around when you wax you wheels as you will be scratching the clear coat.
When I use soap on my dirty wheels, they come completely clean. There is no spreading around of harmful particles. I am very meticulous about this and have been using this method for around 20 years. I have tried various wheel cleaners including the P21S and other fancy ones, and all I found was that they strip off the wax faster, and as long as I keep a coat of some wax or Klasse or similar, I never needed anything more aggressive than car wash soap to bring the wheels perfectly clean.

Quote:
The dedicated wheel cleaner is the most potent so you do the job quickly. Some wheel cleaner have no acids so they are completely safe to your clear coat. P21S is the best example of this, you can leave it on for hours and it won't hurt your wheels clear coat. The other wheels cleaners should be washed off right away.
Again I just don't see the need. Soap works for me and IMO the LEAST potent product that does the job is usually the safest for the finish.

Car care is certainly a personal thing. To each his own.

Regards,
Ken
kenkamm is offline   Reply With Quote