View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
batm

Considering a Boxster-looking for advice

Hi All. I'm new to the forum, and although I'm not currently a Boxster owner, I think I want to be. From the research I've done, it seems like a great car, and I'd love to own a Porsche, but I'm just not sure if it's the right thing for me, and I'm hoping to get some questions answered to help me decide.

1) How practical is it to drive a Boxster in the winter? I live in a part of Canada with 5 months of snow, and with periods of extreme cold (not uncommon to see minus30 Celsius during coldest part of winter). I assume that if I go for a Boxster, I'd also need a separate winter car based on my climate - is that a reasonable assumption, or could the Boxster potentially be a year round daily driver even in harsh winter climates?

2) Does the Boxster lose much of it's appeal if you don't often get the chance to drive on well maintained, twisty, hilly roads? Or to put it another way, is there still a sufficient "fun factor" with a Boxster if most of your driving is routine city driving?

3) What sort of impact does time of year have in terms of used market pricing? I'd assume that prices would drop over winter, and move upwards again as spring approached. Is that assumption correct, and if so, how large are the price swings? What months are best to buy in?

4) Is there a specific model year(s) that would represent the best value? Are there specific model years to stay away from?

5) Are there any "must have" options, or options that should be specifically avoided?

6) I currently drive a 2006 BMW 330xi sedan, which I personally consider to be an excellent car, and lots of fun to drive. For anyone who has owned both, what's your take on the advantages of a Boxster over a 3 series BMW?

Any help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
batm is offline   Reply With Quote