Old 01-05-2007, 12:06 PM   #18
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Skilled driver with ABS = Faster than skilled driver alone

In my case...

Lousy driver with ABS = Closer to skilled driver alone than before
Hi,

Your 1st statement is untrue. ABS will not stop a car in as short a distance as without it. This is because the brakes are modulated, meaning very quick ON/OFF intervals. Whenever the Calipers are OFF, they're not bleeding energy (read speed) from the system. By modulating the way they do, ABS prevents wheel lock so the car remains steerable. No race car uses ABS Brakes and if they made the car quicker, by even 0.1 sec., they certainly would. The '89½ onward Esprit has ABS Brakes, and all their owners defeat them for Track Days in order to go faster.

Your 2nd statement is very true, and true of all the modern Driver Aids. The drawback to this though is that a Driver learns to rely on these systems to compensate for a lesser skill set. And, if this is the only type car you ever get to drive, your skill acquisition will be slower, if not totally impaired, especially if you ever have to drive without them.

But, since the majority of Sports Car (or high-powered Sports Coupe and Sedan) owners today never concentrate on improving their own driving skills, I think it's a good thing the majority of the cars on the road have these aids, especially if they're sharing the road with me....

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote