View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 07:58 AM   #8
ajgray925

Cool Additional Information and Thoughts

Thanks for everyone's responses. To possibly save $$, I'm leanning toward replacing the cotton (oil type) cone filter with a paper cone type (in lieu of going back to the stock air filter element) and also replacing the MAF sensor. This would prevent the new MAF from becoming fouled by any oiling of the existing after market air filter and save some money on the stock air filter element that was not handed over by the original owner of the car when purschased.

In doing this, my conern in doing this is will the amount of air pressure (static pressure) allowed to be sucked in be more or less than allowed by the limits of the computer system, thus tripping the check engine light? In going back with the stock element (filter housing), there's no doubt the proper air pressure is as originally designed. I know the after market filter assemblies sold have hose connections that are lengthened/shortened and bent is a way that maintains the original air speed suction. Anyone have any thoughts on this matter?? Should I just ante up and pay the $263 for the original stock air filter housing?

Also, I did unplug my MAF and drive around town and I do have the same hesistation and backfiring problems. In doing this, another problem is actually created; the idle is erratic at times.

Thanks again for everyone's time and helping me out!