View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 07:18 AM   #10
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Good One! Actually, it amazes me how little driving skill is required these days in a so-called Driver's Car.

These techno-gadgets make an average driver better, but usually impede a truly skilled driver.

The ABS, Variable Steering, Traction Control, PSM and the like are controlled by the computer, not the driver. As such, the programmed parameters which dictate when these aids kick-in (or don't) are not programmed for the likes of Fernando Alonzo, but for Joe Schmoe down the street. Some of these aids have defeat switches as a compromise for skilled drivers, but it's still a compromize.

Good for the average guy because it helps keep the car from biting him, allowing him to enjoy a car whose potential is waay above his skill set. Good for the manufacturers because it increases the breadth of their target market, allows them to justify price increases, and reduces their liability and litigation expense.

The downside is that Driver Skill is less rewarding than before, and at a considerable weight penalty. And, with all these aids, it's more difficult for the average guy to develop true driving skill, you learn to dominate the sytems, not the road.

This is one reason why I like my Lotus Esprit so much. It's only Driver aids are synchromesh gearbox and vac boosted brakes - no Traction Control, no Power Assisted Steering, no ABS, no LSD. It's a real workout to take it in the twistys, and you're much more totally immersed in the experience. It can bite you if your careless or not up to the task, but is also much more rewarding in the end.

I'm not so much dissing the modern technology as embracing the the skills required to do without all the wizardry and even outperform those cars which possess it. I think the ideal is to own a modern sports car and also an old analog one - the best of both worlds...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

This is one of the reason a new 987 buyer should seriously consider the Sport Chrono option (option #639 $920) because this allows a bit more driver input into the car, prior to PSM taking over.