View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 06:42 AM   #9
Perfectlap

you will often get allot of brake dust in the bedding stage of new brake pads. I guess it varies depending on the pad itself. 1700 miles is somewhat irrelevant becasue if these are mostly highway miles vs street its a little misleading.
I wouldn't go changing those pads just yet. I'm sure the Porsche dudes picked a good set after extensive testing and looking at the data logger.
I would suggest using the brakes alot MORE if you are mostly highway traveling.

As far as the dust. Its a pain but clean the wheels as often as you can year round.
The brake dust is bad for you paint both on the wheel face and on the fender and door. Use pressure from a hose to rinse out the wheel wells and maybe spray or scrub in there too. Try using a quality wheel cleaner like P21s on the barrell of the wheel with a wheel brush. Don't spend too much time coating the wheel because you'll have to strip the wheel bare to dislodge the brake dust which can "bake on" during the hot months sitting in the sun.
I personally use a strong polish after washing like Werkstatt Prime Strong or Klasse All in One. Then I use a teflon like spray called Fk 425 or FK 146. In between washes I use the 146 or 425 to keep the wheel and glass clean. First spray the wheel face and then wipe off.
Make sure your rotors are air temp before washing.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote