View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 11:54 AM   #20
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
it depends how much of a value the law makers place on human life.
And for the pragmatic types, consider the lost/lower wages of people sitting in hospitals or on disability because they now can't walk half a block due to complications from emphysyma(sp?) and chronic bronchitis. To say nothing of the 'gateway' drug issue.

Its like the old saying "you can pay now or you can pay me later but in the end you will pay". We are all paying for that Tobacco revenue. Healthcare costs in this country are cippling this country's fiscal future and cigarette smoking and unhealthy diets are MAJOR factors in the most out of shape and banged up generation of Americans this nation has seen in a who knows how long.

but I agree this issue belongs in the Lounge is anywhere.
Hi,

Actually, a study by the Harvard Medical School last year concluded that Smokers do not over tax the Healthcare system. The report concluded that the average Smoker is less Health-conscious (and consequently makes fewer visits to a doctor or Healthcare institution), and when they eventually do, it's usually a short-lived Healthcare consumption because their disease is usually well-advanced by that time. They die sooner on average than non-smokers so they actually consume fewer Healthcare dollars than the average non-Smoker does over a much longer timeframe.

That Smokers increase the cost of Healthcare is a myth supported by the Anti-Smoking lobby as a scare tactic to promote their views.

I am a non-Smoker. I do not support Smoking. But, I have serious concerns about the way our institutions and legislators have used this explosive issue to advance their own causes and agenda and add further limits to personal choice. My last words on the subject...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-03-2007 at 11:58 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote