View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 07:33 AM   #10
YellowJacket

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

That statement may or may not be true, you have no data to back it up. This poll is consistent (to a great degree) with several others which have been conducted. As Porsche continues to remain mum on the subject, it is the best information available.

Many existing owners are either too loyal, or too emotionally invested, to point a finger at Porsche. They're more likely to blame the methodology or results of a poll, or excuse the design flaw as something you have to endure with if you want to drive a Porsche, or point to other failures in Autodom (as if that is somehow relevant).
While Jim is correct that people are too quick to justify this issue with the "that's the price you pay for owning such a great car" bit, Yellowbox is completely correct regarding this survey's uselessness. There are two huge sources of error here, both related to a self-selected population. Those who have had the problem are much more likely to respond than those who haven't had it, have never heard of it, don't completely understand it, etc. The second bias is that those who happen to be on a message board related to Boxsters are those who are most likely to drive their cars hard, modify their cars, or have had problems in the past (i.e. they found the message board by Googling RMS failure after their mechanic told them they had it or something like that). So the best you can say from this survey is that "of those who are inclined to respond to a poll on RMS failure, of those who happen to browse a Porsche forum online, 40% (+/-6% or so) have had RMS failure. I bet if you took that poll by sitting outside a private country club and interviewing the women who drive up in their Boxsters for a weekday afternoon game of tennis, you'd get a much smaller number.

Bottom line:
Is this a HUGE inexcusable design flaw that Porsche should be addressing? Absolutely.
Is this 40% number likely WAY over-stated? Absolutely.

By the way, I'm a statistician; I dissect this type of stuff for a living, and this survey tells you nothing except that the problem exists.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote