Thread: Money Factor?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #18
NickCats

Make sure to read the contract VERY carefully !

I will never lease again ! About 4 cars ago I learned a very valuable ( and expensive ) lesson. I leased a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee from a leasing company here in Chicago. I told them I needed a 3 year 60k mile lease ( I used to drive a lot back then ). They said no problem, found me the Jeep, I signed the papers and was on my way. 3 years go by and I have 60k miles. I go to the leasing company and all the doors and windows were boarded shut. I went home and pulled the contract and instead of being on a 36 month lease I was on a 63 month lease ! I called the bank and my options were :

a. Continue driving the Jeep and pay for every mile over 60k until the lease ends.

b. Purchase the Jeep for $12k PLUS the remaining lease payments ( another $12k )

( Keep in mind I had already made $18k in lease payments ! )

My $30k Jeep was worth about $10k at the time...

So, I had to buy ANOTHER car and the Jeep sat parked in the driveway for 2 years until the lease was up ( while I continued to make $500 monthly payments and keep full coverage insurance for a vehicle I could not drive ).

If I had continued to drive the Jeep and put another 40k miles on the car I would have owed the bank $10k ( $0.25 per mi ) at the end of the lease.

The company that scammed me had done this to 300 other people, pocketed the money and filed bankruptcy and there was nothing I could do.

Needless to say, I will never again lease a car AND I read every contract IN DETAIL before I sign.

Bottom line, if you lease :

a. do not attempt to get out of the lease early
b. be very careful of the mileage restrictions
c. only lease from well established dealers
d. READ THE CONTRACT

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote