Thread: 6th gear
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2004, 06:52 PM   #17
Another S in S

Quote:
Originally posted by Lux
Another S in S has some issues.

He keeps bringing up subjective comments like "not shifting smoothly" and somehow equating it to "not being the correct ratio for the S". But then again notice these guys will also claim that the clutch is so heavy in the S. LOL!

I've posted countless facts refuting his nonsense on PPBB. But he will continue bashing the S. If it's not the tranny then it's the S not being any quicker than the Base model.

Here's the FACTS once AGAIN:

Boxster S Ratio:

2.7L Base Ratio:

1st gear: S is shorter. Shorter is better for a car with low torque. Gee, if anything the base is geared too high.
Advantage: S

2nd gear: S and Base are same. Again, with the Base having significantly less torque, the gearing is better in the S.

3rd gear: S is slightly shorter. Again, with the Base having lower torque it should be the one with the shorter gear.
Advantage: S (see a theme here?)

4th gear: OMG. A HUGE difference. The S' 4th gear is significantly shorter than the Base model's 4th gear. Matter of fact, the S' 5th gear is almost equivalent to the Base's 4th. With the Base already lacking in torque, I can't even begin to imagine how wrong this is.
Advantage: S (by a large margin)

5th gear: The base model has already gone into "overdrive" gearing due to its too tall 4th gear whereas the S is at 1:1 ratio.

6th gear: This one's easy...Advantage S!

So using Another S in S' logic, the 6 speed is designed for the 911 which has more hp/torque. So basically he's saying that shorter gears is the way to go. Yet the Base models gears are taller than the S with the Base having less torque. That's solid ground you're standing on.

Way to OWN yourself. Care to refute these numbers? I didn't think so.

ps. You have to be the thread starter to actually claim someone hijacking your thread.
Ah I was wondering when you would show up Lux. I see you have found me on another forum to defend your Precious. Yes, I have my issues. But you know what, you have stooped to my level and shown to have your own issues as well. It's funny how you stay quiet for days, weeks, and when someone posts anything negative about the 'S' you pop up with your defense. Yes, you are the "anti-Another S in S" A mirror reflection of myself.

Any way, your "facts" and your own subjective impressions of the gears don't prove anything except you lack common sense when it comes to automotive engineering. Don't you remember John Brown's common sense:

"I've read that criticism ('S' tranny) in other reviews of the S over
the years since its introduction. The criticism is based on the fact that the S 6-speed gearing is the same as the Carrera 6-speed's gearing. Considering the S' considerably less power & torque than the Carrera's, it's easy to understand why either the S' engine is too little for its transmission or its transmission is too much for its engine. Many here & elsewhere have theorized Porsche did this intentionally, both to save $$ and to keep the S way below Carrera performance territory IAW their marketing strategy.

All sounds reasonable to me. But the actual gear ratios of the S can pretty easily be compared to the Carrera specs & then we'll all know for sure. Data's probably even available on the net."
-John Brown of Northern Virginia

Go ask any Porsche mechanic what he thinks of bolting on the 996 tranny in the 'S'. And let's not forgot the great CFG's experience with the 2.7L base and his S that he had to sell in 2 years b/c he couldn't live with the gearing:

"Drove 6000 miles in 2 years [Boxster 'S'] and the gearing was horrible in my opinion....I was unhappy with the Boxster 'S'...
The Boxster 'S' should have gotten the 5 speed gearbox of the 2.7..."
-Chris from Germany (CFG)
Admin for 996 board (http://www.funcarsonline.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php)

So let's see, who to trust and believe:

1) Porsche experts like John Brown, CFG (and many others)...

or

2) Lux. S troll par-excellence.

I pick #1!

Here's the actual gear ratios data comparing the base and S's gear ratios:

Raw Normalized Gear Actual Gear Base S Base S Base S Difference
1 3.50 3.82 12.46 13.14 1 1 94.8%
2 2.12 2.20 7.55 7.57 2 2 99.7%
3 1.43 1.52 5.09 5.23 3 3 97.4%
4 1.09 1.22 3.88 4.20 4 4 92.5%
5 0.84 1.02 2.99 3.51 4 5 110.6%
6 0.84 2.89 5 5 85.2% 5 6 103.5% Final Drive Ratios: Base = 3.56 S = 3.44

You can see the difference between the base and S gear ratios. Now, the delta in HP between the base and S is 35HP. The delta between the S and 996 is over 50 HP. So while the difference in gear ratios between the base and S is small the deltas show that the base gearing fits the base better than the S gearing fitting the S. The base has better gear matching than the S. Oh yeah, nobody really uses the 6th gear in the S, so there's no advantage of the 6th gear.

P.S. there's one other Boxster board where I visit occasionally. Can you find me there? hehehe

P.P.S. I was my "subthread" that was hijacked. Go back and read my first response (subthread).
Another S in S is offline   Reply With Quote