View Single Post
Old 01-01-2007, 12:22 AM   #9
clb0099

Update

Alittle update on my non working passenger window. After taking it apart I had noticed that water had gotten to the wires which connect to the window motor. What basically happened is the wires rotted so much that they actually broke apart making it impossible to get any current to the motor. So when I went to the dealership they told me porsche did a "update" instead of recalling it since all the 97's had this problem. I bought all new seals the wiring and everything I needed to recreate the harness with out actually getting the entire new harness. The new harness was 450 and the option i took was 165. Keep in mind when my mcehanic fixed the driver's side for the same problem it was 165 (parts) plus 320 for labor. I got the new parts and will be dropping them off at the mehanic. I also have a new motor and regulator going to be installed as i did with the other side. After th mechanic fixed the driver's side I waterproofed the wiring boot/seals myself. I first had a little gap in the seals cause a clip broke which can only be bought if you get the entire harness. So I got crazy glue and put on the lip of the rubber gasket and sealed it closed. After letting it sit for 10 mins I then used a blk water proof silcone made for outside of houses an went around the seals very neatly so it looked factory . I got my first test the next day since it rained hard and with the door panel off I so no water anywhere near the wires going to the window motor nor anywhere else. In total for the waterproofing maybe 10 bucks. My mechanic said it was the seals that were updated and not really the harness itself. I will post pics of what I am talking about so people maybe run into the same problems. The car just passed it's 10th b-day and things are due to fail but as long as there are DYI for somethings the mechanic bills balance out.
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote