Thread: 6th gear
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2004, 05:07 AM   #13
F1CAR4ME

Before I bought my '01 base Boxster, I drove a 6-speed Acura RSX and before that a 5-speed Acura Integra GS-R. I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but quite honestly the transmissions in those cars blow away my Boxster's 5-speed. The throws in the GS-R's 5-speed are shorter, slicker, and easier (and quicker too) than the Boxster's 5-speed, and the GS-R is geared quite short. By contrast the boxster's throws are longer and a bit ropy, and the clutch has way more travel. Often I found myself wishing for a 6th gear in the Integra - 75 MPH would spin 5th gear at about 3600 RPM. We got one in the RSX, and that was probably the nicest combination of transmission and gearing of any car I've ever driven.

My Boxster pulls 73mph at redline in 2nd gear. That's absurd. The lower gears should be much shorter, and that would allow for much better acceleration. I'd gladly trade 500 RPMs higer cruising speed on the highway for better low end acceleration where I need it for street driving.

As to the question of 6 versus 5 speeds? A 6 speed will always let you lower the ratios of your lower gears and result in better acceleration, while the extra gear on top means you don't sacrifice comfort on the highway.

While we're at it, does anyone know if there's a shorty final drive on the market for Boxsters? I bet you could take 3/4s of a second off a base boxster with better gearing and still not sacrifice too much in cruising speed in 5th gear.
F1CAR4ME is offline   Reply With Quote