View Single Post
Old 08-01-2004, 01:16 PM   #10
jerhofer

That jerk you feel is what I am talking about. You want to blip the throttle to raise the revs a somewhat higher than what they will be when you engage the lower gear. When you do it perfectly, as the RPM's drop, you will let out the clutch at the correct RPM with no jerkiness.

Being able to heel and toe allows you to blip the throttle while you are applying the brakes. With your foot on the right edge of the brake pedal, you should be able to roll you foot to the right and blip the throttle. It takes practice to get good at it, but the good part is you practice this on the street. Once you become acustomed to heel and toeing, you will do it automatically all the time.

I find that on my Boxster S, the relationship of the pedals is not ideal for heel and toeing. I haven't checked into the adjustablility of the pedals yet. You can adjust the brake pedal on a 911 to place it on the proper plane with the gas pedal. On a track car that I used to have, I actually cut a ping pong paddle in half and bolted it to the gas pedal to make it wider. Made it a lot easier to roll my foot over onto the gas pedal. However, be prepared for a certain amount of kidding if you do this. Personally, I couldn't think of a better use for a ping pong paddle.

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam
Wow, thankyou for the tips. I will try to apply alot of what you said when I go there next weekend. I think I will just take it easy at the beginning and just get a feel for the course. Like you said I will take a wide outside line and brake before the turn to reduce the corner radius and make smooth transitions. A question about heel and toe, by downshift you mean a 3-2 or 2-1 shift correct? Some people call that upshift. You blip the gas slightly when shifting to a lower gear to keep it smooth? I often shift to a shorter gear to let the engine drag a bit and help with braking. There is a slight jerk if you let the cluctch out quickly. Is that what you are talking about? Thanks again for the info btw.

Oh, the autocross is between Mattoon and Charleston IL at the Coles County Airport about 45 min south of Champaign.
18" Wheels
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote