View Single Post
Old 12-29-2006, 08:01 AM   #6
iccubed

Hello All,

Solution to my problem realized.

“If it gets wet, you’ll regret!”

After hours of diagnostic and repair time, this what we (Porsche mechanics included) think happened.

When I bought the car, they shipped from CA to OR. There was a hole in the convertible top window. A lot of water got in during shipping. When the car arrived I did not check the keyless entry and door locking features……always do this!!

We think the water ran down the convertible top and entered the cockpit. The alarm control unit sits at the lowest point under the driver’s seat. Once it gets wet it fries things. The door locking actuator for passenger and driver doors as well as fuel door shorted. I guess the trunks can have the same effect, but didn’t for mine. It also fried the keyless entry so need a new key. Always keep the code with the key b/c then you don’t have to buy a new one and they can reprogram. I only got one key with no codes from my purchase.

The alarm control unit controls all locking functions. 5 hours at Porsche dealer to make the alarm unit talk to the car. The “TIME BLOCK RUNNING” error is one they had never seen before. They talked with the special Porsche dealer tech line and the response is that it sometimes takes between 1 and 16, yes SIXTEEN hours, to finish “running”. Mine took 3 hours. And the battery does not need to be disconnected according to Porsche mechanic.

Further more, when the non-dealer mechanic replaced the fuel door locking mechanism, there is a possibility that they created a vacuum leak from pinching a button snap into or against the plastic hose. So now my Check Engine light is stuck on. It could also be the Air Flow Sensor. So that will be the next problem.

Finally, we have to make sure that water still is not getting into the car. I have to check the drain hole right above the air intake vent to see if it’s plugged. Then look at the water catching foam pan and see if there is a hole in that. If so, water will run down behind driver’s seat and eventually to my new alarm control unit. Additionally I have to take out the seat with a torx wrench and lift up the carpet and try to soak up the water that is embedded in the carpet. Apparently there is a sponge like material under that carpet that will hold water for years. During this will be hard b/c there will only be a couple inches of wiggle room under the carpet or else I will have to take out the entire carpet throughout the car.

CONCLUSION on what I needed to fix:

Alarm Control Unit = $230, I got at dealer cost plus 15% at one of their sales + $275 labor, it was going to be $530, but they took pitty on me.
Passenger Door Actuator = $380 + $112 labor
Driver Door Actuator = $380 + $112 labor
Fuel Door Motor = $49 + $220 labor
New Key = $150
Water Drain Pan = $75 + $190 labor

TOTAL = $2173

Wow, what a pain. So make sure your cockpit floor stays dry!!
iccubed is offline   Reply With Quote