View Single Post
Old 12-28-2006, 05:00 AM   #17
z12358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
My rule for any car I will buy is it has to be a daily driver.
I only drive for leisure and on weekends so can't speak for people who have to drive to work during the week, but I can see how one could have a different car for a different purpose and conditions. There are plenty of congested metro areas with bad roads, hellish commutes in stop-and-go traffic. I don't think it's a matter of mileage or wear and tear, it just plain doesn't make sense to be driving a high-performance roadster (with a stick shift, no less) in such conditions. Moreover, it makes sense to associate the roadster with fun and joy (like a twisty road on a weekend) and disassociate it from stress, congestion, and hurry. It's a different feeling when you sit in your joy car for your joy ride, and not in the same seat in which you cursed and sweated just yesterday while stuck in traffic on your way home from work.

So I don't think this is a matter of some people being obsessively concerned about their cars, while others (daily drivers) not. My guess is that if most people here lived in an idylic country setting, driving to work on beautiful, uncongested, country roads, they would indeed use their roadsters as daily drivers.

Finally, why ever impose such "image" rules on yourself?

Z.