View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006, 06:57 AM   #14
z12358

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
well regaurdless, i feel that if my car was damaged and the damage is worth X amount of dollars, and i take the insurance check and have it fixed for a much cheaper Y amount of dollars, I feel that im entitled to the remain amount of money left over assuming I sacrificed quality for value.

Reason insurance companies give you the check is because they are giving you the choice of what todo with the money, you can send your car to the junkyard for all they care... You pay your monthly payments for coverage and they give you money to repair damage that may happen during the insured period of your ownership of the vehicle.

Keywords... "INSURANCE COVERAGE"

It would be a waste of typing to convince me otherwise.

I can see how this type of argument can have some traction. But whenever I find myself in a similar quandry I place myself into the other side's shoes. If I was the entity offering the insurance I would have plenty of trouble if everybody just took the cash and didn't properly fix their cars after an accident -- or didn't fix them at all. One problem I could think right off the top of my head is this: What happens when someone doesn't fix the car up to snuff and that causes an even bigger accident and damage later? Who's responsible for that damage now? Also, if someone got the cash for a brand new door and they decided to keep the cash and only bang the old door with a hammer to straighten it out, when that door gets hit again, what's the damage and who pays for it (Cash for another new door, perhaps?). It's easy to see where this would lead.

And, yes, whether the entity I'm dealing with is a person or a corporation, rich or poor, profitable or not, shouldn't matter one bit. We are lucky to live in a society of laws and rules where those things don't and shouldn't enter the decision process.

Z.