View Single Post
Old 12-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #20
z12358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
myth: all plastic windows need to be "karate chopped".

The only time I ever have to perform the chop is when the temperature drops below 60. So basically I rarely ever have to do the chop.
During the warmer months the top needs no chopping and my window is crystal clear. If you give the top a chance the plastic develops 'memory' and will correctly bend at the right spot each time. During the cooler months I just make sure to blast the heat for 10 minutes then I pull over to lower the top. Wards off cold stretching the canvas too.

I find it quiet annoying to have to sit there with my hand extended on the button while the tops goes down so slooooowly while I stare at the red light waiting for it to go out. My friend's quick action S2000 top lowers in such speed it's embarrasing to me. If it were up to me I would have made the top 100% manual, less weight and no expensive repairs.
With the one touch you can hit the button, then fasten seat belt, adjust mirrors, plug in your pone, put on your bluetooth, etc.
I agree not a cruicial convenience but many have paid $300 for those smart top relays that do essentially the same thing as this $100 unit.

Since I'm rarely in a hurry to get anywhere in my Box, I actually find it quite meditative and zen-like to do nothing for the 15 seconds it takes to open the roof. Makes me think about and savor the twisties I'm about to take ahead.

Z.