Thread: Caliper Paint
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 07:29 AM   #3
RandallNeighbour

When painting my calipers red I discovered I had not cleaned the calipers well... they were filthy and the red paint got very dark with brake dust before I realized what I was doing.

Yellow will be even more noticeable, so do yourself a favor and use the whole can of brake parts cleaner and set of clean shop towels on your calipers to insure you've removed every bit of dirt, grime and brake dust from them before you start.

Like any painting project, it's the typical issue of prepping for 80 percent of the time and doing the actual work for the remaining 20 percent of the time.

Mixing the red into the yellow may make it orange. If they have black, you may want to put drops of black into it instead of red. On the other hand, it may need some red in it too to warm it up and move it to the reddish side of speed yellow. That's a hard one to judge.

A spray over of high temp clear coat will really make it last a long time, and keep your stickers (if you put PORSCHE) stickers on the calipers intact far longer. I did not do the clear coat because I was unwilling to keep my car up on jacks for another 24 hours after the calipers were painted. It was freaky enough to have it perched up there as long as it was.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 12-19-2006 at 07:33 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote