View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 12:39 PM   #18
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Hi Topless, I did it, just to do it. No real reason. It was a $350 gift to myself. And, a few guys on the Forum spoke about the added benefit to our cars.
As you may have guessed from my signature I am somewhat of a purist regarding Porsche performance. I am a firm believer in "If it ain't broke don't fix it." regarding these cars. They really got so many things right the first time. I am also keenly aware that I am in the minority on this board.

From this perspective If I were in your shoes I'd: Restore it to stock setup, and get to a track with someone who really knows how to drive these cars. I'd spend some time on a skidpad first and discover my traction limits and characteristics. I'd practice creating and correcting understeer/oversteer until I really understood its causes and cures. Then I would begin to work the course. Nice cleanly carved carousel turns or am I pushing and sliding... balanced planted slaloms or wild unsettled cone bowling... gentle controlable 4 wheel drift in off camber turns or dangerous fishtails and spins.

After spending some quality time with the car a picture should begin to emerge in the relationship between car and driver. Now I am in a much better position to decide if changes to the suspension and setup are in order. Maybe different tire pressures, maybe more neg. camber, maybe I do need that heavier sway bar up front. Now I have a really good baseline to work from, I really understand the car and how these changes will affect its handling on my way towards my ideal setup.

These cars roll off the lot far more capable than most of us will ever be as drivers. What I am suggesting is that by modifying the driver first, much greater performance gains are to be had than by attempting to modify the car blindly.

Last edited by Topless; 12-17-2006 at 03:26 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote