View Single Post
Old 12-16-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparker
I'm sure this has been gone over many times, but I couldn't find any exact instructions on how to get enough juice to be able to pop the front hood so I can access my dead battery.

I looked through the fuse assignments and couldn't find any mention of the hood/trunk releases. There were three fuses related to security - with those, I stuck a penny into the fuse slote and then touched the positive terminal from a jumper cable attached to another, good car battery. No juice got through in all three cases.

I'm really not excited about removing the front wheel and then well to pull the cable - that's a bit out of my league.

Is it possible to get some juice through another car battery, through a penny stuck in the fuse slot, to pop the front hood? And if so, which fuse is it?

Many thanks,

DParker
Hi,

The problem is that the Hood Latch, while a cable operated mechanical device, has it's actuating lever inside the car electrically locked when the car is locked. There are two ways of going about moving this lever (which locks out the pull-up lever for the hood) to the open position.

First, you can use a long Dental Pick to work the tiny metal lever up. Difficult to see and get hold of. Not recommended if you've never done it.

Perhaps an easier way is to get a Male Lighter Plug (Radio Shack or Auto Parts Store). Add 2 wire leads to it. Insert it into the lighter socket and touch the leads to a 9-volt radio battery (be sure to observe proper polarity touch the + battery terminal to the Center lead on the Lighter Plug, and the - battery terminal to the Outside lead on the Lighter Plug. Then immediately unlock the car with the Dash mounted Central Locking Button (the battery will drain rather quickly due to the draw on it). Once this is done, then the mechanical lever will be unlocked and you can pull it up and unlock the hood. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote