View Single Post
Old 12-16-2006, 08:10 AM   #9
John V

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Pan out a little. Which parts did you have done?
I only covered the black trim piece that is pictured. The car was ordered from the factory with the full leather interior, which gets you the dashboard, the side panels of the console, the center console lid, the door panels and inserts and the roll bars. Obviously the car also has deviated stiching on the seats and doors. I like that little detail.

It just looked wrong to me to have a piece of hard plastic on the door trim and one for the door pocket covers, so I bought some leather off of eBay and went to town. This is my first attempt, and it was difficult but if you're careful it will turn out well.

I used spray adhesive to attach the leather to the plastic, and then wrapped the edges around and used CA (superglue) to attach the wrapped edges to the backside of the plastic. You have to be careful as there is a ridge (really an indentation in the molding) inside the plastic along the top and bottom of the piece which is used to help latch the piece to the door. You can't cover that in leather, so you have to do some very careful trimming so it will still snap on. You also have to sand down the edges of the plastic prior to covering the piece in leather. The leather is about 1/16" thick and so you have to remove that much plastic otherwise the piece will not install.

I didn't do the door pocket covers yet because I wanted to cover them in a thin layer of high density foam first.

The leather I bought was off eBay. Some of the vendors there will send you a sample to see if it matches your interior. I just took a chance and it worked out great! The grain is a near perfect match. The color is slightly more matte, but it will get more shiny with time and Lexol application. It was $20 shipped for a 2' by 2' piece. It should be enough to do both door pull covers and both door pocket covers on my car plus a buddy's car and still have some left over.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote