View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 10:55 PM   #1
blinkwatt

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Todays Mod/Hack;B & M Clone SSK

Well I decide to give it a shot,the B & M clone Short Shifter Kit. It took me about 4.5 hours because I go slow to make sure everything is done right and I detailed the center console since it was out. Alright my observations about the install;

~Top Speed the company that basically stole B & M's design, installed the shaft backwards. Simple fix,just remove the nut and flip it and TADA it's the same as B & M!

~It came with an extra nut and screw that are useless,it can even make the install harder. If you tighten both sets of nuts and screws you can end up putting the threads for the washer impossible to reach,so just put one set to the side at install.(The B & M instruction manual only uses one set as seen in their installation manual) I had one heck of time trying to loosen and remove the extra nut resulting in me scratching and scraping up the shifter,but it's metal so scratches don't do anything to it.

~It's pretty straight forward,no special tools are needed.

Thoughts about the feel/driveability;

~I was told the throws are reduced by only 30-35% but it feels like 50-75%. When I first started driving and I went to shift I thought it put it in nuetral but it was second,that's how far it is reduced.

~Some say it feels "notchy" and that is true,it also feels like the gearshift hits a wall when you hit the gear you are going for. I only find it notchy in 1st-2nd & 2nd-3rd all the other shifts feel really smooth like the stock shifter. I noticed that it's a little more of a pain to get into reverse.

~AFTER 5 MINUTES OF DRIVING NONE OF THAT MATTERED I STARTED TO ADJUST TO IT AND I LOVE IT! IT GROWS ON YOU QUICK!

I will be sure to take it out again and see if I have the same opinoin but I'm sure I will.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 12-14-2006 at 11:55 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote