View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 01:27 PM   #20
dcallas

I recently got a little creative with my iPod integration in my 2002 986. It's somewhat of a pricey option, but I think it's well worth it.

I wanted to have my iPod AND my XM tuner run through the stereo ("direct connect") without losing my CD changer. After a lot of Google searches (and thanks to a lot of the folks here at 986forum), I came up with a pretty cool solution.

First, for the iPod I bougt a spec.dock from www.2point5.com. A spec.dock is an iPod dock that replaces the ashtray in your Boxster. You send them your ashtray, they remove the "flip door", attach it to a spec.dock (complete with whatever wiring you need) and send it back. Here's a shot:

This cost me $199.

Second, I already had a Delphi SkyFi 2 XM receiver mounted, but I was using the FM modulator function. So I had to purchase a $20 cable to direct connect the XM.

Third, I bought a Soundgate Aux3 switch, which basically allows you to connect multiple devices to one head unit (in my case, the Becker CDR 220) and toggle back and forth between them using a small black switch, which I mounted in the "dead" space opposite the cigarette ligher (i.e., if there was a lighter on the left side of the stereo panel, this is where it would be).

The Aux3 cost me $60 I think.

I had Al & Ed's do the install for me for $200 (I'm not handy enough to be removing panels and rewiring stuff in my car). The net result is an iPod, XM Receiver and CD Changer ALL direct connected to my head unit with a nice, sleek 3-way switch mounted next to the receiver for me to choose which I want to listen to, and the iPod dock cleverly hidden away in the ashtray beneath the flip door (very James Bond-esque if I do say so myself). ONE DRAWBACK: I still have to control the iPod from the iPod itself, not from the stereo controls. But I preferred this option - others may prefer to purchase the additional hardware that lets you control it from the stereo controls.

So, spec.dock from 2point5.com, Soundgate Aux3 from some discount stereo website, XM from Al & Ed's, miscelleneous cables from Al & Ed's and about $200 of installation. It's a very sleek option and it looks and sounds great!!!

I'll also add that, although FM modulators are far, far inferior to a direct connection, the one modulator I had pretty good luck with was the dLo TransDock. If you're on a budget, this one isn't bad.

Happy driving.

2002 986
Triple Black
· Debadged
· GAHH Top with glass rear window
· Intergrated Soundgate Aux3 Switch for iPod, Changer and XM
· spec.dock from 2point5
· B&M Short Throw Shifter

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...as/Porsche.jpg
dcallas is offline   Reply With Quote