View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 08:40 AM   #6
YellowJacket

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
If you search this forum, it will do nothing but scare you away because we are a bunch of enthusiasts who drive our cars hard and complain when something breaks. This car is not a Honda, and you should not go into it expecting that. Repairs and maintenance are expensive, things do go wrong, and it's a sensitive machine. BUT... it's not as bad as others will have you think.

Tires: Some people say they go through tires every 6-10k miles. I'm on 32k on a set of OEM tires (the Continentals), and could easily go >35k.

Clutch: Same thing -- I've heard that a Boxster clutch won't go over 50k. I'm at 68k with no signs of slipping or anything.

Repairs: Some people have had some catastrophic repairs and reading this board, you'd think we all have. In 2 years of ownership, here's what I've had on my 97.
-new belt and pulleys (warranty repair)
-45k service ($500)
-window regulator ($500)
-window motor (warranty repair)
-60k service ($750)

Not too bad for a car driven every day! The key is pre-purchase inspection by a Porsche dealer/mechanic, religious adherence to the maintenance schedule, not always driving it like you stole it, and admittedly, a little bit of luck.

When I bought this car, the dealer told me "be warned; I bought my first p-car 30 years ago, and I haven't NOT had one for a single day since then." He's right -- ownership is a disease from which few people recover!
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote