View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 04:05 PM   #10
z12358

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Ventilation is an issue if the Battery is on a charger, which of course they're not inside a store. Besides, the HVAC system in the store changes the air so frequently that it really is a ventilated place. The same would go for inside a home, especially if you have forced air heating. I would keep it in the basement. I suspect that there is enough traffic that you'll not build-up any noxious fumes or such. Not next to a furnace or pilot light due to the Hydrogen off-gassing. Cold won't hurt it, but won't help either. The electrolyte in a Battery will go down to like -50° before freezing, but the cold can make connections or the plates brittle and more prone to damage, so inside is better. Place it on something like a board or old phone directory to insulate it from a cold concrete floor though...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Thx everyone for the advice.

Jim, I'm really worried about the fumes in ANY closed space. I left the battery (on a thick cardboard) hooked to the (Schumacher) charger in a closed room (just as a test) and I could smell the fumes after only 30 minutes. So I unhooked it. I think it would be the same in the basement which is not ventilated and no one really goes there for long periods of time. There, there's the extra issue of the oil furnace being in the same space which doesn't make me comfortable at all -- especially since we only spend weekends in that house, so I would never think of leaving it down there unattended. I assume these fumes do present a fire hazard, right?

I wonder, where do these fumes go when the battery is charged/maintained in a car that's stored/parked in a garage for the winter, as the Porsche manual recommends? The garage is not really "ventilated", is it? I bet I would smell fumes even there.

Never thought this would be such an issue.

Z.